Flavoured popcorn is all the rage these days but we like to keep things classy here at Achill Island Sea Salt. We believe good quality ingredients are all you need to make the perfect meal. We’ve gone back to basics to create a deliciously creamy butter and sea salt popcorn. Irish butter is key here, our favourite is Cuinneog Butter, made right here in Mayo! It is delicious. Combine this with a few flakes of Achill Island Sea Salt and you’ll have an irresistible snack on your hands! And nothing is more satisfying than making your own popcorn., watching the kernels burst and transform into beautiful popcorn pieces is a treat in itself.
We’ve kept it plain and simple but why not keep it experiment with flavours like salted chilli popcorn or chocolate popcorn with a pinch of sea salt? Switching out the butter for coconut oil also works really well and is a great healthy lunch box snack!
Let us know what you come up with and we’ll try it out!
100g Popcorn Kernels
20g Butter / 1tbsp Coconut oil
2 tsp sea salt
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat
2. Add the popcorn kernels, ensuring they are coated in butter
3. Cover the saucepan with a lid and turn down the heat
4. The Kernels will start to ‘pop’ and swell so make sure you only fill the pan one quarter full!
5. Once the popping sound stops, remove from the heat
6. Add the sea salt and another dollop of butter and mix through to coat the popcorn.
7. Finish with a few more flakes of sea salt for an extra kick of flavour!