· 250g Irish Butter
· 250g Self Raising flour
· 220g Caster Sugar
· 2 tsp. baking powder
· 50g Ground Almonds
· 4 eggs
· ½ tsp. Achill Sea Salt
· Zest of 3 lemons
· 50ml Gin
· 100g cater sugar
· Juice of 3 lemons
· 25 ml gin
· Achill Island Sea Salt
· 2.4 L Bundt cake tin
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C/Gas 4 and grease the inside of the bundt tin, ensuring you get into the corners.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
3. In a separate large bowl beat the sugar, butter and lemon zest using an electric hand mixer until pale and fluffy.
4. Slowly add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Add the gin and mix.
5. Gently fold in the flour and sea salt until the mixture is combined
6. Pour the mix into the Bundt tin ensuring that it is evenly spread throughout.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8. Meanwhile, prepare the drizzle by heating the sugar, lemon juice and gin in a saucepan. Let it bubble for 2-3 minutes to allow it to reduce by half. Pour into a jug and allow it to cool.
9. Remove cake from oven and poke holes in the surface while it is still warm. Pour over the ¾ drizzle and let it soak in for 10 minutes. Turn out the cake onto a wire tray pour the remaining drizzle and scatter a few sea salt flakes on top and allow the cake to fully cool.
The cake can be served like this or iced. To Ice the cake mix 40g of icing sugar with ½ tsp. of cold water and mix until it resembles a thick but pourable consistency. Drizzle over the cake and allow it to set before serving.
We recommend enjoying a slice with a nice refreshing G & T!