We've been experimenting with our seaweed salt and think adding it to these cheese scones gives a lovely umami flavour. Best served warm with a dollop of butter.
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Tsp Achill Island Sea Salt with Atlantic Wakame
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 55g Butter (Chilled & Cubed)
- 150g Cheese, grated (We used mature cheddar)
- 115ml Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200C
2. Mix together the flour, seaweed salt and baking powder and add to mixing bowl with the chilled butter cubes.
3. Rub the butter and flour mix together in between your fingers until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
4. Add the cheese to the mix, reserving a handful for the end.
5. Make a well in the centre and pour in enough milk and bring the mix together to give you a soft but firm dough. Don’t add all the milk at once as you may not need it all for the right consistency.
6. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out roughly 2cm thick.
7. Cut out the scones using a pastry cutter to about 8cm wide and put on a lined baking tray.
8. Glaze the scones with some milk and sprinkle the remaining cheese and a pinch of Achill Island Seaweed salt on top.
9. Place in the oven for 15-20 mins until golden brown