Sea salt and chocolate are a perfect combination. If you’re not quite sure why they work so well together you can check out our blog post on The Unlikely Marriage of Sugar and Salt! We are using our smoked sea salt in this recipe and the addition of orange gives the cookies an extra depth of flavour. This is a flourless recipe, so the cookies are chewy and almost brownie like. This also means they are gluten-free so they are a perfect treat for anyone on a gluten free diet.
- 200g dark chocolate (roughly chopped or dark chocolate chips)
- 60g butter
- 2 eggs
- 60g brown sugar
- 65g caster sugar
- 40g cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp smoked sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- Juice of ½ of an orange
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir to combine and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs and sugars until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Fold in the melted chocolate and butter, orange juice and the Achill Island Smoked Sea Salt. Sift in the cocoa and baking powder and fold through before adding the orange rind.
- Drop spoonful’s of the cookie mixture onto a lined baking tray and sprinkle a few flakes of the smoked sea salt on top of each cookie
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes
- Remove from oven and leave on the baking tray for a few minutes to firm up before transferring to a wire rack.