March 23, 2021
Pickled Red Onions
These pickled red onions are key to a good sandwich in our opinion. But, add them to Mexican food, curries, salads and so much more for a lovely zing to your food.
- 3 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 300ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Achill Island Sea Salt flakes
- 3 cardamon pods
- 6 coriander seeds
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Add the vinegar to a heavy based saucepan along with the sugar, sea salt and spices and bring to a simmer until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add the onion slices to a colander and pour over boiled water from a kettle and drain well - you can skip this step if you do not have time.
- Once the onions have cooled, pack them into a sterilised mason jar and pour over the warm vinegar and seal.
- Once cooled, place in the fridge and leave to pickle for at least 2 hours. It will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks once opened.