This recipe is a perfect combination of sweet, spicy and smokey. Made with Achill Island Smoked Sea Salt, it gives a smokey kick that is perfect with sandwiches, savoury tarts or with a cheeseboard! Try it out and let us know what you think.
Makes 6 Jars.
- 5 Red Peppers
- 10 Red Chillis
- 100g Fresh Ginger
- 8 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Red Onion
- Handful of Fresh Coriander
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Juice of 2 limes
- 400g Castor Sugar
- 300ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp of Achill Island Smoked Sea Salt
- 1tsp Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Add the peppers, chillis (including the seeds), ginger, garlic, red onion and coriander into a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Pour the contents into a heavy based sauce pan and add the tomatoes, lime juice, sugar, vinegar, Achill Island Smoked Sea Salt and smoked paprika and bring everything to a boil, stirring regularly.
- Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile sterilise the jars. The easiest way is to run them through the dishwasher. Alternatively wash the jars with hot soapy water, rinse and place in the oven at 120C for 10 mins.
- After an hour the relish will begin to become sticky, cook it for a further 10 mins, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick to the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Leave to cool and transfer to the sterilised jars.
- These should keep for three months. Refrigerate once opened.