We've taken inspiration for this recipe from the recipe book Tacos by Lily Ramirez-Foran from the Blasta Books collection. Our smoked sea salt gives a real smokey depth to the beans, while the spring onion and oregano brings lovely freshness. These beans are great for tacos, burritos, or for a Mexican twist on beans on toast.
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 Spring onion
- 3-4 leaves of fresh oregano or 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 Tbsp water
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Generous pinch of smoked Achill Island Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Drain the can of beans, but do not rinse, and add to a blender or food processor.
- Add in the spring onion, oregano, garlic, lime juice, chilli, and the smoked sea salt.
- Blend the sauce until you have an almost smooth consistency, I like it to have a bit of texture, but traditionally its a very smooth paste.
- Add the water and blend again, if it seems a bit dry, add in another tbsp of water.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and pour in the bean sauce and 'refry' them.
- Cook for 8-10 mins, constantly stirring, as they can easily stick to the pan. You may need to add more water if they are looking a bit dry.
- They will begin to thicken as they cook. Check the seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Remove from pan and serve.